Flooding 2014

05-02-14 - The rain has been consistent now for a couple of months, showing no signs of slowing down and has caused devastation across Britain. Many people have had their homes destroyed due to the torrential rain so complaining about conditions from a fishing perspective seems a bit shallow so before I begin my rant regarding fishing I just want to highlight the fact that I am fully aware and saddened by the devastation caused.

My local lakes are in full flood and have been tapped off for safety reasons. The water is over three feet above the path connecting two of the main lakes and worry has set in with thoughts of escaping carp from my small fishing paradise. Although the rain has been consistent so has the mild temperatures making the fishing fairly pleasant for early February.

I have turned my attention to still waters due to many rivers being unfishable but am keeping a keen eye on water levels to hopefully get a few sessions in before closed season, the dreaded March 15th.
 
I am currently fishing a commercial lake for some large stripies posted below and hope to have a few winter carp sessions at Farlows and Thorney Weir however my main quarry this winter is large roach. Hopefully I can target these from a river before the closed season but conditions would have to improve dramatically for that to become feasible. Its looking like some long sessions on some large gravel pits and I cant wait. I will keep you posted, hopefully on my success and not failure.

Please post any information you have on the current condition of your river below.

Comments

  1. Hi Dan

    Do you know if Twynersh is open and operational as usual, or is it closed due to the floods?

    I know Chertsey has been affected but haven't been able to head over and see it for myself.

    I did email, but heard nothing in responsem so I am fearing the worst.

    As you say, sad for the anglers, even more sad for fishery owners whose livelihood depend on their waters, not to mention local residents and the fish themselves if they become displaced....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I am afraid I don’t know the current conditions at Twynersh however based on my experience fishing both Twynersh and the Chertsey water behind it I would say they are probably unfishable due to the extreme weather. I know in the past that they have suffered from flooding especially pit 7 into pit 4. Twynersh cannot be contacted at current so I assume severe flooding is present. Also I heard it may be going back to a syndicate but the source of this information is unreliable.

    As you say it’s been a tough couple of months for the UK due to these extreme conditions. With lakes like Wrysbury flooding what’s to stop the “known “ fish appearing in other lakes? Someone might catch king fungus from the Thames next year who knows.

    Sorry I cant be of more help

    Tight lines

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dan

    Just spoke to twynersh and fortunately they said that, while the water levels are extremely high, they are open and the lakes are fishable. I asked if they flooded and he said only the match lake a bit.

    shame it is becoming a syndicate water....I was told by the gaffer that it would be from September at the earliest....only just discovered this place, having moved to the area only fairly recently. I wont do the syndicate, so wanna try and hit it a few times before it changes

    Gonna head down in about a fortnight, probs fish pit two, one rod for carp, one for pike, see how I get on. Any tips? will probs stick close to margins....corn/hemp, maybe single boilie / pop-up, possibly even maggots?

    I enjoy your blog though mate

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Im amazed, thats great news.

    Margins, Margins, Margins and maggots would be a great advantage. I would use a couple of fake maggots thread onto some nylon with eight or so real maggots. To form a sort of roach proof maggot ball used in conjunction with a simple hair rig.

    Also another great winter method on Twynersh is to cast a single hi visual boilie out on a choddy. Cast out every two or so hours covering all the margin area out to about twenty or so yards. Dont discount zigs at this time of the year either. On days like today (cold but sunny) the fish will be at different levels in the water and pit two is notorious for fish caught on zigs in winter.

    I glad to hear you like my blog I have been writing it now for four years. If you use the search engine above to the right and type in Twynersh there are a few posts on the place that might help. Let us know how you get on. There are quite a few thrities in pit two now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts