2nd Chertsey Session

After my first session and blank on Chertsey I decided on a different approach. Both rods were to be rigged up with hinged stiff rigs on leadcore leaders with fluro pop ups. I arrived at the lake Friday around 2pm and made my way round the right bank. I decided to settle in a swim that overlooks M3 (lovely). The topography in my swim was uniform and I was fishing in 5ft of gin clear water. I walked around and gathered some information from the syndicate members on where the carp were showing etc. I flicked out both rods feeling down the leads until I hit solid ground, this was followed by 20 trigga ice baits scattered into the ripples that the lead had left.
At around 7pm whilst looking out over the water for fish a Carp rolled over my left hand rod. In anticipation I hovered my hand over the rod expecting a take. 15 minutes later the it screamed off and I engaged the bait runner to have the horrible sensation of slack line. I was gutted to think I had missed out on my first elusive Chertsey carp. All I could put it down to was that the carp had been nicked in the mouth and the hook had pulled. Back the rod went on the same spot. During the night I had a take on my other rod which resulted in a bream of around 8lb (It even took my bait runner!!!).
The next day dawned and I re-thought my tactics. It was a hot day and the carp were cruising around on top, a floater rod was quickly set up and my right rod reeled in. Whilst in the swim next door trying for a take on the surface my Delkim screamed for help so dropping my tea I ran to my swim engaged my bait runner and was attached to my first Chertsey carp. The carp scrapped hard for the first part of the fight and then surrendered to my net. She didn't go in first time which caused a bit of panic but eventually she was mine. The fish was a common of around 22lb but the size wasn't what excited me (I and the other members estimated the weight as my scales had broken on a previous trip). The carp was long, dark bronze with a heart shaped tale, an immaculate fish. I had trouble taking pictures as all the other members were on the other side of the lake so I chanced some self shots. Luckily after cutting my head off on the self takes a member arrived and took some great pictures (cheers mate). On only my second session I had bagged one of the elusive fish that swim in Chertsey. From what I had heard no other fish had been out that week so it was a right result. Common picture above left
The next night quickly went by with only a couple of liners. On the last day of my session Terry Hearn was back at the lake. He had a fully scaled mirror on his last trip and he congratulated me on my catch commenting on the low stock of carp the water held and what a great fish it was (top man). That was to be the second highlight that concluded my trip. Hopefully next time I write this I will have had a 30 +.
Tight Lines.

Comments

Popular Posts